Festival of Debate: links and resources
Thanks for attending Disability Intersections: Disability and Gender-Based Violence at Festival of Debate. You can download my presentation here as a PDF (without playable videos) or as a PowerPoint presentation (with videos that should work).
You can join the WhatsApp group here.
You can see the full video replay here with transcript.
The video clips are also available at the bottom of this page.
Some of the resources I discussed and got facts and information from are below:
Sheffield resources (not specific to disabled women and girls)
- SRASAC: www.srasac.org.uk
- Sheffield Domestic Abuse Coordination Team: www.sheffielddact.org.uk
- IDAS (specialist Yorkshire charity supporting people affected by domestic abuse or sexual violence): www.idas.org.uk
National resources (specific to disabled women and girls)
- Finding emergency housing if you feel unsafe (Scope): https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/how-to-find-emergency-housing-if-you-feel-unsafe/
- Respond is a national charity providing therapy and specialist support services to people with learning disabilities, autism or both who have experienced abuse, violence or trauma: https://respond.org.uk/
- (Easy Read) Forced Marriage: A Guide for People with Learning Disabilities: https://respond.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Forced-Marriage-WEB-ACCESSIBLE-24.01.19.pdf
- Sign Health Domestic Abuse Project (for D/deaf, deafened and DeafBlind people): https://signhealth.org.uk/with-deaf-people/domestic-abuse/
- Stay Safe East Supports Disabled Survivors of Abuse: http://staysafe-east.org.uk/
- Respond is a national charity providing therapy and specialist support services to people with learning disabilities, autism or both who have experienced abuse, violence or trauma)
- Resources on communicating with autistic people
- Easy Read booklet on domestic abuse and the police
- Understanding domestic violence and abuse: a teaching pack for delivering awareness to people with learning difficulties
- Simplified booklet on Surviving Sexual Abuse
- Easy Read resources on abuse, relationships, sexuality and parenting for adults with learning disabilities (some specific to Australia)
- Information about sex and relationships (including issues of capacity)
- Love Life: resources for young people with learning disabilities
- Resources about Deaf children and safeguarding
- What is hate? (video)
- Easy Read guide to disability hate crime
- The SPELL framework supports an understanding of autism and the development of autism-friendly environments and approaches
- Communicating with people with a learning disability
- Easy Read resources on abuse
- Video: Forced Marriage: A Conversation during Covid Times
- Video: Domestic Abuse: A Conversation during Covid Times
- Video: Violence Against Women and Girls (VAWG) and Young People with a Learning Disability or Autism
- (Easy Read) Forced Marriage: A Guide for People with Learning Disabilities
- Reporting Mate Crime
These are the videos that were in my presentation.